Q & A with Ashley Viljoen

So, Jess kicked started the count down to our miss+meisie durban showcase, at the Factory Cafe 4 - 6th October, yesterday by introducing the very talented Kareena Zerefos to you over on her blog. Check out the post here.

Today, I'm extremely excited to be introducing the very humble Ashley Viljoen to you . . .


I've had the pleasure of knowing Ashley for a couple years now but have only recently discovered that he actually has a hidden talent as a Wood Turner! I was so excited when he first showed me one of his masterpieces and just knew that this guy had an amazing talent that had to be shared. Check out some of his wonderful wooden pieces:







How beaut?!

We asked Ashley a couple questions so you lovelies could get an insight into what makes this talented wood turner tick:


My life right now is . . . On the brink of change, many exciting opportunities have presented itself to me recently and I am moving into a new and very positive cycle. 

What makes you tick? . . . Seeing all the hard work I put in paying dividends.

Favourite thing about spring? As I sit here in the garden, immediately the smell of Jasmine dances around my nostrils, the sound of twittering birds and the explosion of colour from the flower beds. Spring is a feast for the senses.

Being a designer/artist/creative allows me to . . . Fulfill my ultimate self as a creative being.

Iam good at . . . Cooking. And eating for that matter.  I am so glad we have to eat to survive :)


Something i really wish i was good at . . Is making more time.

How would you describe yourself? Genuine, grounded and self aware.

How would others describe you? Haha, chilled.

What inspires you? The special woman in my life. Joanna is perfectly oblivious to how beautiful she is and how much happiness she creates. Her nature inspires me. Art and contemporary design inspire my work directly, nature of course plays a large part in that too, as my medium, wood comes directly from nature. Being a maker of fine vessels, one is constantly striving for pure and elegant curves, and nature has its own divine geometry to draw inspiration from. Just look at an onion bulb or a Rose bud.


You don't want to miss out on Ashley's amazing wooden beauties on show at the showcase . . .


No Response to "Q & A with Ashley Viljoen"

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments...